I really want to figure out how to get and stay organized. I want a daily or weekly routine so I will not become overloaded like I am feeling now (so any suggestions would be great).
I think I need to start with deciding what to keep and finding a home for it.
1. What to do with the papers that collect on the counter? bills, paid bills, Ayden's papers from Kindergarten, Ayden's coloring pages from daycare, newspaper ads, clipped coupons, recipes printed from the internet, articles I found interesting, Baby magazine, etc. These are just the usual stack. Horrible, isn't it. You can already see the stack growing in you mind.
Now is where I don't know what to do. I know I don't need to keep everything but how to you store or save things and keep them out of the way but still easily accessible? I read the front of the baby magazine and I really want to read the articles, but to tell you the truth, I haven't had time to open one up for probably 6 months.
In my house we don't have a lot of storage space or closet space. I am trying be creative in finding homes for things like putting Lynlee's old bigger toys under Ayden's bed...then maybe he won't push everything under there when he cleans his room. ha ha
2. Christmas decorations....how to decide what to keep. When we got married I had some christmas decorations and so did Brant and then we bought some more. It is hard for me to throw away what I had because some of it has never been used but it doesn't match. I don't feel like I can throw Brant stuff away because I don't know if there is sentimental value and Ayden can remember everything that he has ever had.
3. Clothes that are too small. For anyone out there. I have Ayden clothes that he has grown out of (2T to 5) and some that are to small that I acquired (don't ask). If you are in the need for some clothes let me know. Also I have clothes for little girls. I have the wonderful oppurtunity to receive clothes from my wonderful cousin who has twin girls older then Lynlee. This has been so helpful to me. I also have a sister in law who has some cute outfits from her daughter. Some times the sizes and seasons don't quite work out so I have some clothes never worn or very rarely worn. I don't know if I am just a goof but I think, what if I will need these down the road if we have another baby....then reality hits and I know we don't have a lot of storage space. What should I do?
Now my mind is spinning...I know I will not have enough time in one day to solve this issue but I need to start somewhere.
Steph I would love some handmedowns :) Mr McCall will be in a 2t by summer I am thinking.... get a file folder (the paper kind from walmart) and label them.. bills, recipes etc... rip out the articles you want to read and have a spot for that in the folder.. it takes minimal space up. Buy some underbed boxes.. they have cheap ones at Ikea that work great! Donate some stuff to the DI.. there are always people who need it and then later if you do you can get some there for cheap.. just my 2 cents :)
ReplyDeleteThey have a lot of cute good organizer things at Ikea. I love the idea about the underbed boxes for rarely used toys or even outgrown clothes. I can come over and help anytime if you want. I love organizing things!
ReplyDeleteI have a friend who is having a baby girl in March. If you have any clothes that Jillian hasn't already taken I know that my friend would love it.
I'm not very good at organizing, but here are a few things that have worked for me, or others that I know. When I get a magazine I go through it as soon as it comes in the house. I tear out the pages I think have good ideas on them and then file them away. I have a file folder with my recipe books that I throw random recipes in when I come across them. For kids clothes, I keep hanging onto mine and lend them out to people I know that are having babies. i know I will not be needing them for several years and think that I may take them to Kid-to-Kid and sell them there.
ReplyDeleteFor everyday routines, you may try www.flylady.net. I am a member and when I follow her routines, my house is pretty organized. She sends out a daily "mission" of something to clean and then she has routines all set for you. You can make them work for you. I am able to keep my bathrooms and kitchen sink clean all of the time by following her simple routines. Now for the rest of the house...
Hope that helps!!